Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Pumpkin Bread

April 27, 2016 sweet potato bread

1/2 cup coconut oil
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cup sweet potato puree and 1/4 cup Coconut Dream Drink, unsweetened
     (when I used homemade pumpkin puree I used 1 1/2 cups and no milk)
1/3 cup applesauce and 2 t. ground chia seed

2 cups flour of choice
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

Blend dry ingredients. Blend wet ingredients and stir into dry until incorporated.
Turn batter into 4 small loaf pans, 350 degrees, 35-40 min.

Flavorful, moist, tender but not crumbly. A bit heavy- settled a bit, but great texture.

Great with orange glaze(pictured above), or regular glaze on top. Or with coconut-vanilla frosting between two slices. Good for school lunches this way.


notes:
find Coconut Dream Drink on shelf in grocery store, Tetrapak shelf stable
-today flour was from mix I made:
10 cups rice, 5 cups garbanzo, 5 cups oat, 2 cups cornflour, 2 cups cornstarch
-batter seemed thicker than should be, so I added 1/4 cup milk to some, but that wasn't as flavorful. Consistency after baking was pretty much the same. So I would keep batter slightly thick as is.
-last time I made with homemade pumpkin puree. That was really yummy, with the coconut-vanilla frosting I make. I prefer pumpkin puree, but have sweet potato puree on hand to use. : )

No comments: