Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Applesauce Cake



Applesauce Cake

I made this for breakfast this morning. It's neat I can use the rule of thumb for oil, sugar, and flour that I use for making cookies, whatever oil amount I use, I double for sugar amount, then I double sugar amount to get flour amount. 1/2 cup, 1 cup, 2 cups. The difference for the cake is just more liquid and spreading into bar form.

1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup applesauce + 1 T. ground chia seed

1 cup oat flour
1 cup rice flour
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
dash salt

add non-dairy milk if needed to thin batter*

Bake 13X9 pan 375 degrees for about 25 min.

*I wasn't sure whether to add extra liquid to this, I wasn't using a recipe, so I baked in two smaller pans.(about 8X8 each) Pan one as I recorded here, and pan two had coconut milk stirred in(maybe 1/3 cup for half the batter). Two of us preferred the batch without added liquid; it had really good flavor and was still moist and soft and fairly fluffy. Two other family members preferred the batch with coconut milk added- they loved the extra fluffiness. It was fun to experiment and get good results both ways!


No comments: