Saturday, August 8, 2009

Whole Grain Zucchini-Coconut Cookies

I am so excited about these cookies! I've had a recent quest of making wholesome cookies without oats. These have an excellent texture and are flavorful. I think, "wow!" every time I eat them! They are my favorite gluten-free, oat-free cookie yet! They have a slightly crisp, springy outside, with a moist, tender inside. They freeze well. They do not stick together, and when thawed in the microwave for a few seconds, they still have an excellent texture.

I adapted these from my Mom's recipe for whole-wheat zucchini oat cookies. I love having a variety of whole grain wheat-free, egg-free, nut-free, non-dairy cookies on hand in the freezer- from pumpkin to zucchini to banana... fruit and vegetable purees really help make great cookies without needing wheat or eggs. Having these cookies in the freezer provides quick, nutritious snacks. These cookies are flexible to adaptations- try what I first list, or substitute other items you have on hand. Experiment with various gluten-free flour mixes.

Whole Grain Zucchini-Coconut Cookies

1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup coconut oil*
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup applesauce & 1 tsp. baking powder mixed with 1 1/2 T. oil and 1 1/2 T. water(mix just before adding to recipe) OR other egg substitute for 2 eggs**
1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon(optional- I forgot it in my recent experiments and they were great without it)

1 1/4 c. brown rice flour
1/2 c. millet
1/4 c. potato starch
1/4 cup cornstarch or tapioca starch
0R 2 1/4 cups gluten-free flour mix

1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
2 cups zucchini, grated
1/2 cup coconut, flaked
1/2 c. chocolate chips(I use Enjoy Life brand), and/or raisins

Beat oil and sugar until fluffy. In separate bowl, combine baking soda, cinnamon, oats, and flour. Set aside. Add vanilla and applesauce to oil and sugar. Mix baking powder, oil, and water in small container, then add to applesauce, sugar, and oil. Mix together. Add zucchini and coconut. Blend. Add dry ingredients from bowl and mix until well blended. Add chocolate chips or raisins last.
Bake 375. Check at 10 min.

*coconut oil is optional- I use it because it adds a delicious dimension to the cookies, and because I think it probably improves texture versus using only vegetable oil- it is more the consistency of margarine than most oil. You could alternately use 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup shortening, or 1/2 cup non-dairy margarine sticks or spread.

*other suggested egg substitutes: 1 T. flaxseed meal + water to equal 1/3 cup; mix with fork and allow to sit and "gel" for 10 min. before adding to recipe; this is a good binder to use alternatively to applesauce. Also add 1 tsp. baking powder mixed with 1 1/2 T. oil and 1 1/2 T. water(mix just before adding to recipe) This provides substitute for two eggs, applesauce is to bind and leavening is to lighten. Another suggested egg substitute: Ener-G Egg Replacer.

7 comments:

Yiyin said...

I really like your cookie recipes - can you tell me how long and at what temp you cook these at? Also, what do you think would be the difference if I use oil vs. non-dairy margarine vs shortening? Is it best if I use a mix of these (i.e. half oil and half shortening)? Thanks for the great recipes!

homebaker said...

Sorry for the long reply! I hope the cookies turned out? I typically bake at 375 degrees.

About the oil v. non-dairy margarine and shortening- it makes a difference of texture and consistency. But I interchange these anyway.

If using oil or margarine(which is part water and part oil), you may have to add more flour to a cookie recipe that calls for shortening or butter. The oil and non-dairy margarine have more liquid content.

Your idea to mix is perfectly fine. To me, what is best really depends on several factors.

A cookie baked with oil would be more chewy, I assume- or at least more of a nice flat cookie (my favorite type, actually). Shortening makes more of a tender crumb, more fluffy cookie. Not as flavorful as oil or margarine, though. I like baking different ways, having a variety.

I bake mostly according to what's cheapest and easiest to keep on hand. In my case, that's oil. I like canola oil rather than vegetable(soy) oil- flavor is nicer for me.

I hope you get this message- again, I hope to be more prompt to respond and add to my blog! Living life is busy but I have so much I want to share! : )

homebaker said...

I just mentioned canola oil as what I use most, but I do love using coconut oil in this zucchini cookie recipe! I usually do half coconut oil.

Yiyin said...

Thanks for your comments! I actually made the oat version of these cookies and they were a hit! I will make these soon - have a friend whose son is allergic to everything including oats (and also soy and corn, so the margarine is out as an option). I actually use a lot of extra light olive oil for baking as well, so that's probably what I'll use. Happy Thanksgiving!

Yiyin said...

I checked with my friend and apparently millet flour does not agree with her son. Any ideas for substitutions? (oats are out too, as is any type of flour made from beans.)

homebaker said...

Does your friend tolerate rice flour, tapioca starch, and potato starch? Many people use a combo of these flours.
livingwithout.com has a few substitutions you can check out.

homebaker said...

I'm glad your cookies were a hit! Thanks for letting me know!
Happy Thanksgiving!